Jamie Bamber Interview

GALACTICA.TV have a new interview with Jamie Bamber up.  Here are a few excerpts:

This already the third time we've talked to you for GALACTICA.TV so I'm just wanting to do a short follow up. Thanks again for doing this.

My pleasure, Marcel.

During the Battlestar Galactica finale Lee suggest the Colonials should abandon their ships and most of their technology and start new lives using only essential supplies and the planet's resources. This would hopefully prevent Humanity from repeating the same mistakes it made on Kobol and the Twelve Colonies. This idea was surprisingly well received by the crew of the Galactica. How big of a surprise was all of this for you personally? Did you hope or expect it to end this serene and peaceful, or would you have rather seen it go out with a bang?

No, at the time, I loved it, because I kind of agree. I'm not a big fan of technology. I don't think it has actually helped us in any way. I only think it's a bit naïve to hope that if we get rid of everything, we won't just create more and start again -- start the same thing all over again. I think the ultimate answer is that you hope that there's wisdom coupled with technology. The problem is that it's not -- human being aren't that clever. We can't contain our own desires, so we consume and make out lives easier. Technology hasn't solved the ultimate problem which is to create happiness. They have never done that -- create contentment.

That's what I suppose Lee is talking about at the end. It's not that surprising that the people on the Galactica were all happy to get rid of technology. It has taken them to hell and back. So to find a nice green planet that has no war or strife on it, other than the natural battles that occur in nature, is probably a blessed relief. But it's their offspring that will probably be undone by technology again and that's why he hasn't thought it through properly.

Technology has always been sort of self serving and not purposed on the essence -- trying to find contentment and happiness, rather than just advancing for the sake of advancing. What Lee forgets is that whilst all these people are sick and tired of the abuse of the technology, subsequent generations don't have that wisdom, because we don't pass wisdom down genetically. The only way you can pass down wisdom and experience is by writing it and by communicating it and that's a gap in the system.

Read the entire article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment