Lucy Lawless - Venice Magazine Spartacus Interview























































Venice: I’m really liking “Spartacus.”
Lucy Lawless: “Sparty-Pants,” yes, it’s good!
You have a great line in one of the first episodes, “‘Proper’ is a word used by men, who would seek to enslave us with it.” It seemed to typify a lot of the work that you’ve done.
I think she’s lying, by the way. It’s complete manipulation! She’s a great liar. Men are not the enemy. Society — men and women — try to enslave one another, or exclude one another with certain manners, and fashion, and you name it. They’re all misused to exclude, or have some false sense of inclusion. So even though she says this great line, I think it’s reaching too far, perhaps. I don’t think she’s being wise. She’s manipulating the person in front of her.
Tell us more about the character you’re playing, Lucretia.
She’s just a really great liar. Viva [Bianca] and I decided — our characters are “best frenemies” — that we wanted our characters to be the kind of people that we would want to watch. We wouldn’t want to know, necessarily, what they’re thinking, so that’s why our acting relationship, our characters, are so complex and, I think, really powerful. Because they’re such good liars that they’re almost secrets to themselves, those girls. And they’re struggling for survival all the time.
Your character, and her husband, are going through something that’s apropos of the times we’re in now. Their financial troubles are really relatable to what’s going on in our current economy. They’re trying to get back on top after falling down.
It’s almost like sci-fi, in that you have the distance between the graphic nature of the show, and then the distance of time, where you go, “Oh, it’s a historical drama, therefore all bets are off!” But we still can’t help relating to those people, can we? So that’s what makes it fascinating. It’s such an alien environment, yet, put yourself in their shoes, and it’s a scary place to be.


Read the entire article here


Bookmark and Share

0 comments:

Post a Comment