At what point in your life did you decide you wanted to become an actor?
I'm not sure it was a conscious decision. I acted in school plays at a really young age. There were like town competitions for kids, set up by the local youth group or something. I was a bit of an extravert, even as a young kid. I wanted to sing a song or do something. My earliest play was when I was eight and it was this school play. Even at an early age it was so much fun doing this in class. It wasn't like doing math or anything else . The reading out... I remember, even at a young age, when someone wasn't on some level being a character or doing the lines justice, reading the lines like (in monotone voice): "Oh, come over here.", I was like: "No, no, it must be with some inflection or something." So I was already realizing that at a very early age. When I became an actor much later, for a long time I felt I was just a performer. I wasn't sure they were the same thing.
Can you pinpoint one moment when you decided that this is what you wanted to do for the rest of your life?
No. It's interesting, because I don't have that as well. A lot of things interest me. Acting is only one of my many interests.
Okay. I've read your parents own and run a bed and breakfast? What did they say when you told them that you wanted to become an actor?
Very supportive. My parents wanted all of us to be happy. I've also got two sisters and they said to all of us: "Do what you want to do." I love how people are worried in the way you ask that question: "Oh dear, your son wants to become an actor. What are you going to do?" but they never had that. I think my mother had done some acting before and my grandmother was going to be an opera singer, but when my grandmother was younger it wasn't correct -- in my family -- for a young lady to be on stage. That was like a disaster. Things had changed a lot by the time I came around, so they were very supportive. I think they knew it would make me happy.
Read the entire article here
0 comments: